My two horde characters: An Orc Shaman and an Orc Warrior

25.12.08

dual roles

I have been playing on my Shaman more than my Warrior.
The weirdest thing about playing so much is that most of my personality comes through while playing.
When I first came to wow, I rolled an orc warrior on an RP PVE server.
I took it for granted that names were normally RP like, at a later time I was on a non rp server and the non rp names drove me crazy.
I picked up mining and blacksmithing for my warrior, and spent a long time leveling up blacksmithing. I really wanted to make gear for myself and others and so it was nice having blacksmithing. I was broke, all the time. It seemed at the time that there was nothing I could make to sell for a profit and it was worth more to sell the ore/bars than to make gear. I shelved my warrior and rolled a few alliance toons.
After awhile, I felt that I missed the playstyle and feeling of being with my fellow horde members. I then rolled my shaman, and picked up skinning and mining and really enjoyed playing him.
When I got to 70 I was able to purchase an epic flying mount. That was the total opposite feeling of my warrior. I had plenty of money, mats for gear to be made, and really just enjoyed leveling and questing with him. I decided that I would do all the quests in outland and after that respecced him to healing for pvp/pve.
I really enjoyed that as well. Healing in PVP is really relaxing to a certain extent, because I was harder to kill, and the people around me were harder to kill.

So I mention all that because my next statement is hard to explain.
When I play my warrior, I feel selfish. And when I play my shaman, I feel generous. The best example of that is with my shaman, I have heals for others, totems for buffs for others, totems that clear poisons/diseases which help healers. I mine and skin and sell it on the AH so I am always bringing in money. I don't go out of my way to farm, I just do my dailies and skin and mine while running around. The more I play the more I have.
With Wrath, I already have quite a few crafted epics and badges without really even trying. So when we are in heroics, I rarely want the rewards and am happy to pass on gear and what not. I bought frozen orbs off the AH, and then turned around and looted 3 while doing heroics.

My warrior is exactly the opposite experience. I don't have many tools to do different things. Poisons, diseases, stuns, fears and the like affect my DPS/tanking. I need people to heal me, and DPS for me.
I need others to sheep, hex, sap mobs that I mark. I also feel that no one understands warriors, and don't know what I can and can't do. All this builds up and I start getting greedy for drops and loot and money. I love tanking and blacksmithing but the feelings of contentment aren't there in the same way as with my shaman. Upgrades are few and far between not only because I play him less, but also because I do 5mans more and tanking plate doesn't drop on every run.
When I log in, I log in as my shaman and do my dailies, run a heroic, do some quests, and then if my wife doesn't feel like hanging out or talking, or have everything done I want to get done on my shaman, THEN I log into my warrior.

All this talk of giving and taking and feelings of needing manifested in my personal life.
I will think of some good examples later and post them.

No comments:

My Blog List